With friends like these

With friends like these

by digby

Candidate Joe Garcia of Florida














Here's a perfect example of how even with good intentions some men walk into sexist arguments that make women feel like jamming chopsticks in their ears:
"I believe we're about to see the most consequential presidency that we've seen since Lyndon Johnson," Garcia said, according to footage of the event obtained by the Miami Herald.

"This is not because I think Hillary Clinton is the greatest ever. But I do believe she is extremely, exceedingly competent, and she — I know this is going to sound weird to you, but to me, as somebody who studies history, she's going to be very similar to Lyndon Johnson," he continued.

"Lyndon Johnson wasn't a particularly charming man, wasn't a particularly nice man: He would ask you nice, and then when you didn't do it, he made you do it. And Hillary is under no illusions that you want to have sex with her, or that she's going to seduce you, or out-think you."

I especially like the "she won't out-think you" which leaves you with the impression that she's an unfuckable moron who I guess will put a gun to your head and force you to do whatever she wants --- like the shrieking harpy she is. Now I guess there might be some people out there who find that to be an appealing image in a leader but I'm going to take a wild guess that they're more likely to vote for Trump.

He's apologized, saying that he meant that she's a hard-worker who gets the job done and I guess that's fine. But it's revealing of the way many men, even ones who are supposedly sympathetic to the cause, think about accomplished older women. And no, it's not just older men either. If anything, I hear the worst of this stuff coming from the youngs.  This guy is younger than Obama, and he should know better.


.