Trump and Tucker

Trump and Tucker

by digby
















I doubt Roger Ailes would have put Tucker Carlson in Megyn Kelly's time slot. But then he was a very successful TV guy who undoubtedly understood why Carlson has been fired from every other network: he's a snotty, smartass jerk. Fox News viewers like grumpy old blowhards (O'Reilly), earnest true believers (Hannity) and hot babes(Kelly.) Carlson annoys everyone but a certain subset of right wing insiders.

Interestingly, Carlson has become a Trump booster which is sort of a surprise since he wrote this about him last year:
About 15 years ago, I said something nasty on CNN about Donald Trump’s hair. I can’t now remember the context, assuming there was one. In any case, Trump saw it and left a message the next day.
“It’s true you have better hair than I do,” Trump said matter-of-factly. “But I get more pussy than you do.” Click.
It's not really surprising now that I think about it. After all, Carlson was a huge Bush booster even after he wrote this about him in 1999:

In the week before [Karla Faye Tucker's] execution, Bush says, Bianca Jagger and a number of other protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask.

Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with [Tucker], though. He asked her real difficult questions, like 'What would you say to Governor Bush?' "

"What was her answer?" I wonder.

"Please," Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "don't kill me."
Carlson expressed shock at the time that the Governor would say such a thing (man, those were more innocent times, weren't they?) but he came around.


.