Common sense rising?

Common sense rising?

by digby



With one person anyway:

Caleb Keeter, guitarist for Texas country outfit the Josh Abbott Band, was a self-proclaimed lifelong supporter of Second Amendment rights — until last night.

On Sunday, he survived the deadliest mass shooting by a sole gunman in American history. His band played the main stage at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas in the mid-afternoon, just hours before a gunman opened fire from a hotel room 32 floors above the crowd. At least 58 people were killed, and more than 500 others were injured. Thousands more witnessed the carnage up-close as they ran to safety.

Keeter was among the thousands. On Monday morning, he tweeted a message: “I’ve been a proponent of the 2nd amendment my entire life,” he wrote. “Until the events of last night. I cannot express how wrong I was.”

He went on to describe that members of his crew were licensed to carry weapons and had “legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

“We need gun control RIGHT. NOW.” He wrote that his “biggest regret is that I stubbornly didn’t realize it until my brothers on the road and myself were threatened by it.”

Good for him. It's a step in the right direction.

It happened to 22,000 people last night in Las Vegas.

But everyone in America should be able to relate to this. It could happen to anyone, anywhere.

.