Friday Night Soother: Michelle Obama edition

Friday Night Soother: Michelle Obama edition

by digby




In case you missed the story:


[The photographer Ben Hines] told BuzzFeed News the little girl and her family were standing in front of them in line to view the portrait.

He said the unidentified girl was excited and full of energy. As her mom tried to get her to turn around to face her for a picture, he said the girl would not cooperate and just wanted to stare at the painting.

"It was so touching and uplifting for me to see this beautiful child looking at a beautiful portrait of a powerful woman," Ben told BuzzFeed News. "I was so delighted to have been in the right place at the right time."

Her mom, Jessica, a small business owner in DC, said she took Parker and her 1-year-old sister, Ava, to the gallery on Thursday just to see the Obama portraits.



Jessica confirmed the Hines' version of events: "I was trying to get her to turn around so I could take a picture, but she wouldn't cooperate. She just wanted to stare at it. She was fascinated."

"As a little person looking at a portrait that large, I can imagine it's fascinating," she said. "She had a little moment."

Jessica said Parker knows that Michelle Obama is a former first lady who used to live in the White House.

"I didn't realize it would be so moving to so many people," she said of the incredible response to the images.

"In the world we live in today, I'm just trying to raise a little girl who has opportunities to see women who look like her doing great things," Jessica said.



The image of little Jessica staring at the portrait went viral.

And then guess what happened:

Parker, I'm so glad I had the chance to meet you today (and for the dance party)! Keep on dreaming big for yourself...and maybe one day I'll proudly look up at a portrait of you! pic.twitter.com/faUVTsYWun
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) March 6, 2018



I needed that. :)

.