Orrin Hatch tells John McCain he's ridiculous for not wanting Trump at his funeral

Orrin Hatch tells John McCain he's ridiculous for not wanting Trump at his funeral

by digby




He's just blurting out every thought that passes through his mind now:


Sen. John McCain should reconsider his wish that President Donald Trump not attend McCain's funeral, said Sen. Orrin Hatch, the most senior GOP senator. 
McCain prefers instead that Vice President Mike Pence attend his funeral rather than Trump, who has mocked McCain for being tortured and attacked him for voting against Obamacare repeal. But Hatch said he thought keeping the president from his funeral was too much: "I think it's ridiculous." 
"Well, he's the president of the United States and he's a very good man. But it's up to [McCain]. I think John should have his own wishes fulfilled with regard to who attends the funeral," said the Utah senator. Asked whether McCain should change his mind about Trump, Hatch said: "I would." 
Hatch said he does not expect McCain, who is battling brain cancer, to return to the Senate. 
"That's what I've been told,” said Hatch, who is 84 and retiring after this year. “I don't know. I hope he does, I hope he can." 

What an asshole.

He seems to genuinely love Donald Trump which I think clears up whether or not he was ever the "moderate" the Villagers always tried to say he was. He's become his essence: a mean old man. He always was one.


Update:
They shamed him into apologizing:
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) has apologized to Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for saying it was “ridiculous” for McCain to request that President Trump not attend his funeral, a remark that drew a swift rebuke from McCain’s daughter Meghan McCain.

“I agree with the daughter,” a remorseful Hatch told The Washington Post on Tuesday. “I shouldn’t have said anything yesterday. I agree a hundred percent with her.”

Hatch also sent a letter to McCain apologizing for his comment and for suggesting that McCain would not return to the Senate, according to a person familiar with its contents.

He is who he is. We see him.


.