A Wingnut Star Is Born

A Wingnut Star Is Born

by digby


Melania Trump sat down with ABC last night for her first solo on-air interview since President Trump’s inauguration. There, she revealed that her “I don’t really care, do u?” jacket was actually meant to send a message to the “left wing media.”

The First Lady shocked many last June when she wore the boldly printed jacket as she visited a Texas holding center where undocumented children were temporarily placed after being separated from their parents.

Many interpreted the jacket as insensitive considering the outrage over her husband’s “zero tolerance” immigration policies.

Initially, the First Lady’s spokespeople said there was no message behind the jacket, but Melania revealed to ABC’s Tom Llamas, during an hour special “Being Melania- The First Lady” that aired Friday, that it was a direct message to her left-wing critics.

Melania Trump tells @TomLlamasABC she wore the ‘I really don’t care’ jacket “for the people and for the left-wing media who are criticizing me. And I want to show them that I don’t care.” #MelaniaTrump https://t.co/EqEyfZkJvZ pic.twitter.com/2EWeCKB0de

— ABC News (@ABC) October 13, 2018



“I often asking myself if I would not wear that jacket if I will have so much media coverage,” she said. “It’s obvious I did not wear that jacket for the children. I wore that jacket to go on the plane and off the plane and it was for the people and for the left-wing media who are criticizing me and I want to show them I do not care.”

Asked if she was intentionally sending a message, Melania said, “Yes, it was kind of a message.”

She said she purposely put the jacket back on when boarding the plane after seeing how “obsessed and upset” the media got over it.

“I said ‘you know what? that’s what I’m talking about,'” she said. “I would prefer that they would focus on what I do and on my initiatives than what I wear.”

She's the real thing, a Trumpie to the core.

I'm pretty sure she's being honest about wearing that jacket. It's just that she and her staff are so mind-crushingly stupid that they didn't realize that wearing it to a detention center where her husband's government was holding children who had been forcibly removed from their parents would send a different message.

That's Trumpism. Owning the libs is truly their only motivation in life and it crowds out even the slightest bit of common sense. Not that they have much to begin with.

Also, let me just say that Melania generally has fabulous clothes and look fabulous in them. She's a former model. It makes sense. It's really the only thing worth talking about when it comes to her. "Be best" and "don't be a bully" are not serious initiatives.

However, her stylist often puts her in clothes that veer dangerously close to costumes when she's traveling and they don't understand what "message" those costumes are sending. She should realize that even if it didn't veer dangerously close to a tribute to colonialism, dressing up like an extra in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" is going to get her some criticism. She should stop dressing like she's doing an editorial shoot for Marie Claire and just wear her beautiful normal clothes.