I think he means it

I think he means it

by digby



He says this over and over again. At some point I think people have to consider that he's actually thinking about it.

Talking about serving more than two terms suddenly isn't a joking matter for Trump anymore.

"In six years -- or maybe 10 or maybe 14, right? -- in six years, when I'm not here, the New York Times goes out of business very quickly," he says, deadpan. pic.twitter.com/VN6zZUr5S0

— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 21, 2019


I think people believe he's trolling and of course that's part of it. But he is a salesman who believes that loud and annoying repetition is the best way to advertise. (Think used car ads on late-night TV.) So I don't think it's smart to dismiss this out of hand. If the election is even slightly close anywhere I have no doubt they will contest the results. And if it turns into a political shitshow as it was in 2000, I could easily see him refusing to leave and we simply have no real mechanism for removing him without his cooperation.

This could happen in 2020. But if he legitimately* gets four more years there is no telling what they will have done to make this "legal" by 2024.

.