Junior and his "sacrifices"

Junior and his "sacrifices"
by digby



OMFG:

President-elect Trump and the new first family were at Arlington National Cemetery, where Trump was to lay a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknowns.

“I rarely get emotional, if ever,” Trump Jr. wrote in his new book, “Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us.” “Yet, as we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country.”

He also had another revelation as he watched his father standing in front of the tomb, surrounded by more than 400,000 graves, listening to the Army Band bugler playing taps: The Trump family had already suffered, he recalled thinking, and this was only the beginning.

“In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we’d already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we’d have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were ‘profiting off the office,’” Trump Jr. wrote.

I don't hold it against his father or him for not joining the military. But sourly comparing the "sacrifice" of pretending to give up their foreign business dealings to the sacrifices of dead service members and their families is simply astonishing. My God.

I can't get over the lack of self-awareness in this person --- or the fact that he's hugely popular with tens of millions of Americans. Everything I thought I knew about politics has been upended by these people. Who can believe that someone this thick and obtuse could possibly be seen as a burgeoning political talent? And yet the right-wing is hugely enthusiastic about him. I guess all you have to do is be dumb as a rock and act like a total ass and they will love you.

.