It's Never A Bad Time...

by dday

...to note Bill Kristol getting something spectacularly wrong. This is from December 2006.

KRISTOL: You know, Bill Clinton won a nomination in 1992 against a weak field. Mario Cuomo, the governor of New York, chose not to run. George Mitchell, the Senate majority leader, chose not to run. Al Gore and Dick Gephardt, who had run in '88, chose not to run. The heavyweights didn't run. Bill Clinton had a sketchy field against him and won the nomination, despite various missteps and flaws.

Hillary Clinton, it looks like to me, is now going to follow in Bill Clinton's footsteps. If she gets a race against John Edwards and Barack Obama, she's going to be the nominee. Gore is the only threat to her, then. She wants to be the centrist.

I think she's taking some risks in staying on the center, not going to left, which is intelligent. She can still beat the left-wing democratic candidates, I think. And then she's pretty well-positioned for the general election. So this is all good for Hillary Clinton. Barack Obama is not going to beat Hillary Clinton in a single democratic primary. I'll predict that right now.


It's that kind of crackerjack political acumen that gets you a coveted editorial slot in the New York Times. So in an effort at enhancing my own personal upward mobility, let me say this: no way gas ever gets to $3.50 a gallon, they won't end The Sopranos without letting you know if Tony lives or dies, and the Patriots lose a game? Are you kidding?

Giuliani '08

(can I get my column now?)

via TBogg