Blogging The Origin: Awaiting The Premiere

It’s only a few hours away from the premiere of my evening-long celebration of Charles Darwin’s work and life; The Origin, for chorus, orchestra, vocal soloists, and Balkan music ensemble. We’ve had more rehearsals than I can remember. There were several with the entire ensemble (I think there’s at least 150, if not 200 performers, but I’m not counting!) and numerous scheduled rehearsals with smaller groups. Also, since we’re all staying at the same hotel in town, I’ve had dozens of impromptu rehearsals with our terrific mezzo, Jacqui Horner and the eight amazing singers who make up KITKA, the Balkan music ensemble I’m using to represent Charles Darwin the man. The dedication of all the players, as well as conductor Julie Pretzat and filmmaker Bill Morrison has been nothing short of phenomenal. I’m both deeply touched and honored. I can’t count the number of times we’ve met for lunch or just a coffee and they - not me - have brought up some detail they wanted to perfect, or simply shoot the breeze about Darwin. I’ve also spent what must amount to eight or more hours being interviewed by the local television and radio stations, the AP, the Syracuse press, and at least 4 student journalists from the college. I’m not going to mention all the seminars, classes, and lectures I’ve given!

Fortunately, my health is holding up. This kind of schedule is typical for any large event, especially a major premiere. It’s both grueling and exhilarating. I can’t say you fall into a rhythm after a while, it’s too hectic for that, but you do learn to marshal your energy, falling asleep at the drop of a hat between events and politely, but firmly, turning aside invites to hang out with those other than other people directly involved in staging the event. I feel I’m living in Spinal Tap, only with a lot less hair...

Tonight, the audience will get to hear the incredible artistry of these performers and maybe get a view of Darwin they didn’t expect. I certain didn’t. I started this project thinking I’d write a serious piece about science. But a lot of it ended up being simply joyous, if not downright comical. I realized a lot about Darwin’s personality and his science, a side which is given short shrift in the oh-so-serious biographies of him, as good as many of them are. Darwin was simply a man who was not so much endowed with genius as he was filled with an enormous sense of wonder and curiousity, and enough wit to find the whole thing, ie, Nature, utterly delightful. That’s why the death of his 11-year old daughter came as a particularly cruel loss. He not only lost a treasured child, but also his last illusions of a beneficent, if impersonal universe. After Annie’s death, Darwin understood the universe is just impersonal, but even with her death, he managed, somehow, to regain his sense of awe and humor at it all.

If you read this blog and come to the performances, do say hello and introduce yourselves.