This gun fetish is killing us

This gun fetish is killing us

by digby




Former Las Vegas Sheriff Bill Young's daughter was at the concert last night and she called him when the shooting started and he rushed to the scene. She is ok but his description of events was harrowing.

But he said something very interesting on MSNBC on Monday morning  that I think is worth thinking about:

This could happen in any community at any time given the gun laws that we have in the United Stated, the 2nd Amendment, which I'm a strong supporter of. We've got an inividual that I don't know if he has a history of mental illness or what his criminal history is. Obviously he had ten semi-automatic and automatic rifles at his disposal. I don't know all the history of those rifles. I own 25, 30 guns, many many rifles myself, I've hunted and fished all my life here in this state.I support it.

But at the same time, you know, I think that we all have to be cognizant of the fact that this world has changed in the last 25 years in such a way, with some people's fascination with guns that really don't have any business having a gun because of the result that we have here today.

Something happened 25 years ago that started this trend. His name is Wayne LaPierre --- he took over the NRA in 1993.

.