Dennis's Christmas mix-tape

Dennis's Christmas mix-tape

by Dennis Hartley






Being that it’s the holidays and all, it seems good a time as any to share my Top 10 favorite songs of the season. Alphabetically…


1. Alan Parsons in a Winter Wonderland – Grandaddy
The stockings are hung with irony in this CA indie band’s rendition.



2. Christmas in Hollis – Run DMC

To my knowledge, the first Xmas rap; a classic! The elf is disturbing.



3. A Christmas Song– Jethro Tull

Ian Anderson decries the commercialization; gets drunk with Santa.



4. Do They Know It’s Christmas? – Band Aid

Oy, the mullets! Still quite moving 30 years on, and for a good cause.



5. I Am Santa Claus – Bob Rivers

Funniest Christmas parody song ever, by the “Twisted Tunes” gang.



6. I Believe in Father Christmas – Greg Lake

Such a beautiful song. Great live version with Ian Anderson on flute.



7. Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth-David Bowie & Bing Crosby

Yes, this really happened. Years before Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga.



8. Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Alice Cooper

Not a stretch, when you consider Santa is an anagram for, you know.



9. 2000 Miles – The Pretenders


A lovely chamber pop rendition, and Chrissie’s vocals are sublime.



10. We Wish You a Merry Christmas– Jacob Miller (w/ Ray I)

An ire, ire, ire Xmas wish from the late great Inner Circle front man.




I love all of the Beatles’ Christmas records, but the one from the White Album period is my fave. The drugs had fully taken hold…



Merry Crimble, and a Happy Goo Year!

--- DH



If you feel like putting a little something in the Hullabaloo Christmas stocking, it would be most appreciated. As always, I'm immensely grateful for all of my readers. It's what keeps me going.

Happy Hollandaise everyone! Together we will get through this.

Keep the faith.

cheers --- digby











.