But what about that delicious chocolate cake?

But what about that delicious chocolate cake?

by digby





“When Kim Jong Un had the meeting with President Xi, in China, the second meeting . . . I think there was a little change in attitude from Kim Jong Un,” Trump said Tuesday, with Moon at his side. “I don’t like that. I don’t like it from the standpoint of China. Now, I hope that’s not true, because I have a great relationship with President Xi. He’s a friend of mine. He likes me. I like him.”

Evelyn Farkas, a former Obama administration national security official who has worked on North Korea issues, said Trump was naive.

“He fails to understand that while he might have a good rapport with a head of state, that head of state will act based on his national interests and not based on his personal feelings,” Farkas said.

That's because Trump understands "national interest" to be "Trump's interest" and he thinks everyone else sees the world in those parochial, self-interested terms. Xi gave him a big parade so he obviously respects Trump and will do whatever he wants!

More importantly, that "good rapport" is just Xi flattering the buffoon to manipulate him for his own benefit. Anyone can see what a puerile fool the man is.

This LA Times rundown of how the summit collapsed validates that observation.

.