Friendly reminder

Friendly reminder

by digby



Trump went on and on in his press conference today about all the women who hve "falsely" accused him of sexual assault:
Donald Trump has claimed that a number of women were "paid a lot of money" to "make up stories" about him as he defended his Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh over allegations of sexual misconduct.

Talking about the effect allegations from three women may be effecting Mr Kavanaugh, the president said: "When I see it, I view it differently... It's happened to me many times. I've had many false charges.“

“When you say does it effect me? Absolutely. Because I've had it many times,” Mr Trump said regarding the allegations surrounding Mr Kavanaugh.

“I was accused by, I believe it was four women... who got paid a lot of money to make up stories about me,” Trump said as he continued to blast the media for repeating the allegations.

In reality, more than a dozen people have accused Mr Trump of sexual assault or harassment. The president has denied all the charges.

“I've had a lot of false charges against me,” Mr Trump said.

This has some more detail:

“I’ve been accused, I’ve been accused. I believe it was four women, you can check with Sean Hannity, you can check with Fox, because they covered it very strongly,” he said. “I was accused by four or five women who got paid a lot of money to make up stories about me. We caught them and the mainstream media refused to put it on television. They refused to even write about it. There were four women, and maybe more.

Nearly two dozen women have credibly accused the president of sexual misconduct.

“I think the number’s four or five, but one had a mortgage paid off her house, maybe $52,000 dollars,” he added.

Trump was likely referring to women’s rights attorney Lisa Bloom, who set up a GoFundMe for client Jill Harth, who said in a 1997 lawsuit that Trump forced her into a bedroom at Mar-a-Lago and attempted to rape her. As Snopes points out, Harth never even wished to go public with the accusation to begin with ― she was outed by reporters in 2016. And her GoFundMe raised only $2,317.

“And the one that reported it, I believe was offered $750,000 to say bad things about me, and she’s the one that reported it,” Trump continued. “This woman is incredible. She reported it instead of taking the money. So I’ve had numerous accusations about me. I mean they made false statements about me knowing they were false. I never met them. I never met these people. And what did they do? What did they do? They took money in order to say bad things.”

No.



The following statement was released by Lisa Boyne, Rachel Crooks, Samantha Holvey, Jessica Leeds, Melinda McGillivray, Natasha Stoynoff, Temple Taggart and Karena Virginia:
“President Trump’s attacks on Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez are beyond the pale and utterly lacking credibility. We know from personal experience that he is a serial sexual harasser and abuser.

“Trump has dismissed our claims, lied about his conduct and attacked us. Now he’s painting with the same brush to salvage the Kavanaugh nomination. It’s a standard move from his playbook.

“We believe women, and we believe Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, Debbie Ramirez and Julie Swetnick deserve to be heard. We stand with them in calling for a full, independent investigation of Brett Kavanaugh’s conduct in high school, college and beyond. Senators must not vote on his nomination until they have the facts.”

.