Just as dumb as he ever was. And just as mean.

Just as dumb as he ever was. And just as mean.

by digby

This painting is hanging in the White House

There were many appalling moments in Trump's 60 Minutes interview last night, not the least of which was his comment that he knows more about NATO's mission than James Mattis, his blithering idiocy about economics and well ... everything. He's getting worse.

He obviously did not like Lesley Stahl's questions and he got very defensive throughout, almost surly. When he gets defensive he immediately starts bragging. This was one of the most embarrassing moments of his career.

Lesley Stahl: Okay. Changing subjects again-- you are the first president of the United States who never had a political post before, nor never served in the military. You come up here, you've been here for almost two years, what's the biggest surprise and what have you learned since you've been president?

President Donald Trump: Okay. So I always used to say the toughest people are Manhattan real estate guys and blah, blah. Now I say they're babies.

Lesley Stahl: Who's the toughest?

President Donald Trump: The political people. This is the most deceptive, vicious world. It is vicious, it's full of lies, deceit and deception. You make a deal with somebody and it's like making a deal with-- that table.

Lesley Stahl: Give me an example.

President Donald Trump: Well, I don't wanna give you an example. I'm not lookin' to-- in the meantime, nobody's been able to do what I've been able to do. Remember that. When you look at taxes, you look at regulations, you look at-- making deals with other countries. Nobody's been able to do anything like this. Actually, most people didn't even try because they knew they didn't have the ability to do it. But it's a very deceptive world. The other thing I've really learned is I never knew how dishonest the media was. I-- I-- and I really mean it. I'm not saying that as a sound bite. I never--

Lesley Stahl: I'd like to--

President Donald Trump: Knew how dishonest--

Lesley Stahl: I'm-- I'm gonna change the subject again.

President Donald Trump: Well, no, even the way you asked me a question, like, about separation. When I say Obama did it, you don't wanna talk about it.

Lesley Stahl: No, I'm gonna run your--

President Donald Trump: When I say I did it, let's make a big deal of it.

Lesley Stahl: I'm gonna run your answer, but you did it four times, so.

President Donald Trump: I'm just telling you that you treated me much differently on the subject.

Lesley Stahl: I disagree, but I don't wanna have that fight with you.

President Donald Trump: Hey, it's okay--

Lesley Stahl: All right, I'll get in another fight with you--

President Donald Trump: Lesley, it's okay. In the meantime, I'm president--and you're not.

Yes, he actually said that. He was uptight and angry. He's so used to being fluffed by Fox that he forgot what it's like to be interviewed by anyone else. But it got worse:

Lesley Stahl: This country is divided, polarized. Within families, there aren't even people who can talk to each other. What does this say about where we are as a country right now, all this division and strife and--

President Donald Trump: Yeah-- I think that--

Lesley Stahl: --anger?

President Donald Trump: --what's going to happen-- I think the economy's bringing people together. It was very polarized under President Obama, unbelievably polarized under President Obama. I can see the country uniting. I can see it. We have people, Democrats, who behaved horribly during the Judge Kavanaugh-- you-- know what I'm saying.

Lesley Stahl: But when you won that.

President Donald Trump: --during the hearings for the Supreme Court, we had senators that behaved horribly.

Lesley Stahl: But when you won, you won. No-- no one is gonna argue with that.

President Donald Trump: I won--

Lesley Stahl: You won. And then after you won, instead of saying, "Oh, let's all come together, this is wonderful. Let's heal all of this," you come out and bash the Democrats.

President Donald Trump: Well, I bashed their attitude. I bashed their statements--

Lesley Stahl: But why not try to--

President Donald Trump: Because they were--

Lesley Stahl: --bring us together?

President Donald Trump: --so unfair to Judge Kavanaugh. I've never--

Lesley Stahl: But why not--

President Donald Trump: seen anything like it.

Lesley Stahl: --why not try and-- we need to be healed. We need--

President Donald Trump: I don't think they want to heal yet, I'll be honest.

Lesley Stahl: Well, you don't wanna--

President Donald Trump: I think--

Lesley Stahl: heal yet.

President Trump on his treatment of Christine Blasey Ford at rally: "It doesn't matter. We won."
President Donald Trump: I-- I-- I saw Hillary Clinton made a really nasty statement. I don't think they wanna be healed. I do wanna heal.

Lesley Stahl: I'm n-- I'm not talking about Democrat-- I'm talking about the country. You go out and you go to Mississippi.

President Donald Trump: The famous Mississippi speech?

President Trump at rally in Mississippi: I had one beer. Well, you think it was, nope! It was one beer. Oh good. How did you get home? I don't remember. How did you get there? I don't remember. Where is the place? I don't remember. How many years ago was it? I don't know. I don't know… I don't know…

Lesley Stahl: And you mimicked Professor Blasey Ford. You mimicked her.

President Donald Trump: Had I not made that speech, we would not have won. I was just saying she didn't seem to know anything.

Lesley Stahl: No (UNINTEL)--

President Donald Trump: And you're trying to destroy a life of a man who has been extraordinary.

Lesley Stahl: Why did you have to make fun of her?

President Donald Trump: I didn't really make fun of her.

Lesley Stahl: Well, they were laughing.

President Donald Trump: What I said the person that we're talking about didn't know the year, the time, the place.

Lesley Stahl: Professor Blasey Ford got before the Senate and-- and was asked what's the worst moment. And she said, "When the two boys laughed at me, at my expense."

President Donald Trump: Ok, fine.

Lesley Stahl: And then I watched you mimic her and thousands of people were laughing at her.

President Donald Trump: They can do what they-- I-- I will tell you this. The way now Justice Kavanaugh was treated has become a big factor in the midterms. Have you seen what's gone on with the polls?

Lesley Stahl: But did you have to--

President Donald Trump: Well, I think she was treated with great respect, I'll-- I'll--

Lesley Stahl: And-- but--

President Donald Trump: be honest with you.

Lesley Stahl: but do you think—you treated her with--

President Donald Trump: There are those that think she shouldn't have--

Lesley Stahl: Do you think you treated her with respect?

President Donald Trump: I think so, yeah. I did.

Lesley Stahl: But you seem to be saying that she lied.

President Donald Trump: W-- you know what? I'm not gonna get into it because we won. It doesn't matter. We won.

Keep it up Trump and this 30 point gender gap will go up to 50 points.

Look at the way he shrugs at Stahl's comment about thousands of people mocking Ford:

STAHL: Dr Ford said the worst moment of her assault was when Kavanaugh laughed at her. Then you mocked her

TRUMP: Ok. The way Justice Kavanaugh was treated has become a big factor in the midterms. I think she was treated w/great respect. Many people think she shouldn't have been pic.twitter.com/C15xWwE5SU
— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) October 15, 2018


Honestly, how anyone could vote for this pig is beyond me.

He's very pleased with his performance today. He couldn't even compliment his wife for her interview over the week-end without bringing himself into it.

.