Memories. Like the cobwebs in the corners of his mind

by digby








Here are a few of the 30 times said he couldn't recall in answers to Mueller's written questions and ask yourself if it's likely that any functioning adult, much less one who says he has the best memory in the world, would likely not remember if he had these conversations.



And then ask yourself why Trump would not have simply said it didn't happen. He lies easily about everything else. He must have had some concern that there was evidence that he had done these things.

Was a pardon for Julian Assange discussed prior to Jan. 20, 2017? 
Trump: “I do not recall having had any discussion during the campaign regarding a pardon or action to benefit Julian Assange.“


Was Trump aware of foreign efforts to help his campaign via social media, or at rallies? 
Trump: “I do not recall being aware during the campaign of specific efforts by foreign individuals or companies to assist my campaign through the use of social media postings or the organization of rallies.“ 

On the Trump Organization project in Moscow 

Trump: “Sometime in 2015, Michael Cohen suggested to me the possibility of a Trump Organization project in Moscow. As I recall, Mr. Cohen described this as a proposed project of a general type we have done in the past in a variety of locations. I signed the non-binding Letter of Intent attached to your questions as Exhibit B which required no equity or expenditure on our end and was consistent with our ongoing efforts to expand into significant markets around the world.

I had few conversations with Mr. Cohen on this subject. As I recall, they were brief, and they were not memorable. I was not enthused about the proposal,[obviously a total lie] and I do not recall any discussion of travel to Russia in connection with it. 

I do not remember discussing it with anyone else at the Trump Organization, although it is possible. I do not recall being aware at the time of any communications between Mr. Cohen or Felix Sater and any Russian government official regarding the Letter of Intent. In the course of preparing to respond to your questions, I have become aware that Mr. Cohen sent an email regarding the Letter of Intent to "Mr. Peskov" at a general, public email account, which should show there was no meaningful relationship with people in power in Russia. I understand those documents already have been provided to you.“ 

Contacts with Russia 
Trump: “Mr. Manafort was hired primarily because of his delegate work for prior presidential candidates, including Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and Bob Dole. I knew that Mr. Manafort had done international consulting work and, at some time before Mr. Manafort left the campaign, I learned that he was somehow involved with individuals concerning Ukraine, but I do not remember the specifics of what I knew at the time. 
I had no knowledge of Mr. Manafort offering briefings on the progress of my campaign to an individual named Oleg Deripaska, nor do I remember being aware of Mr. Manafort or anyone else associated with my campaign sending or directing others to send internal Trump Campaign information to anyone I knew to be in Ukraine or Russia at the time or to anyone I understood to be a Ukrainian or Russian government employee or official. I do not remember Mr. Manafort communicating to me any particular positions Ukraine or Russia would want the United States to support.“ 

Did Trump know Russian officials wanted to talk to him during the campaign? 
Trump: “I do not recall being told during the campaign of efforts by Russian officials to meet with me or with senior members of my campaign. In the process of preparing to respond to these questions, I became aware that on March 17, 2016, my assistant at the Trump Organization, Rhona Graff, received an email from a Sergei Prikhodko, who identified himself as Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, Foundation Roscongress, inviting me to participate in the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum to be held in June 2016. The documents show that Ms. Graff prepared for my signature a brief response declining the invitation. I understand these documents already have been produced to you. “ 
Did Trump know that Manafort had ties to Ukraine (and when)? 
Trump: “I have no recollection of the details of what, when, or from what source I first learned about the change to the platform amendment regarding arming Ukraine, but I generally recall learning of the issue as part of media reporting. I do not recall being involved in changing the language to the amendment.“
Sharp as a tack.

I'd guess that these answers told Mueller that Trump would have amnesia about everything if he interviewed him personally.


.