Hillary Clinton Opposes the Keystone Pipeline, by @Gaius_Publius

Hillary Clinton Opposes the Keystone Pipeline

by Gaius Publius


Looks like my days of wondering what this means are over. Hillary Clinton, at a town hall meeting, has come out against the Keystone Pipeline (h/t Greg Laden's Science Blog for the report).

Clinton (my emphasis):

"I think it is imperative that we look at the Keystone XL pipeline as what I believe it is: A distraction from the important work we have to do to combat climate change, and, unfortunately from my perspective, one that interferes with our ability to move forward and deal with other issues," she said during a campaign event in Iowa Tuesday.

"Therefore, I oppose it. I oppose it because I don't think it's in the best interest of what we need to do to combat climate change."

There's video at the link.

I have two takeaways from this. One, activism works. Two, I'm not sure what she means by "distraction." I think there's something she doesn't understand. The Keystone Pipeline would be a cause of further climate change, not a distraction from efforts to combat it.

But I'll take the win. Yes, activism works. Thanks to all who helped, and thanks to Ms. Clinton for this decision.

More here.

Update: Looks like she does get it. Via Twitter:

Time to invest in a clean energy future—not build a pipeline to carry our continent's dirtiest fuel across the US. I oppose Keystone XL. -H

Is this the first of a number of moves consistent with what's written above? I hope so.

GP



.